Business I like

After 10 years in the market and countless investment books, I have distilled down what I look out for in a business.

In essence, I look for businesses with high cash generating abilities for at least the next 10 years and management that knows how to utilise this cash. See the table below.

AttributeDescription
High ROICReturn on Invested Capital is a north star metric. I prefer companies having consistent and high ROIC (>25%). This shows how efficiently the company utilises its capital.
Consistent earnings growthThe very best companies can grow both EPS and net income consistently. I look for consistency over growth rate.
Low long-term debtSome companies earn high ROIC with the use of debt. I prefer those that can pay over low long-term debt within 3 years. This decreases the chance of a company going into liquidation.
Smart use of EarningsA good company generates tons of cash and management can (i) distribute back cash as a form of dividends, (ii) repurchase own stock or (iii) acquire new companies. I compare how profits the company retains and compare to the growth in EPS. 
Low Capex requirementsCapital expenditures are a real expense that eats into cash flow. I prefer low Capex companies which can grow organically with little reinvestment needed. 
Gross profit and net profit marginsI like companies with high gross profit margins (>65% for product businesses) and high net profit margins (>15%). Companies with high GPM show defensibility and wide moats while those with high NPM give higher margin of error (less chance of loss making).
Company ageThe longer the better, I like those with >50 years of operating history. These are companies which have survived various business and economic setbacks.
Competitive advantageCompanies with at least one of these factors make them more attractive: (i) intangible assets like brand names and patents, (ii) switching costs, (iii) network effects, (iv) cost advantages like Walmart, (iv) efficient scale like a rational oligopoly. I write more about it here.

After I am enticed by the economics of the business, I then determine a fair price to pay. I look mainly at PE ratios and almost never pay anything more than 15x for a business, because that erodes my margin of safety.

If any of you come across business like this, please let me know.
Previous
Next Post »